Holiday traditions have always been very important in my life. Growing up, we had a ton of traditions, especially around Christmas. When I got married and started a family of my own, traditions became even more important to me. I have kept some from my childhood, adopted some from my husband's homeland, and of course we have created our own. One of these original traditions is to make a gingerbread house each year. The first year, I went all out and made one from scratch, designing the pattern, baking the gingerbread, buying all of the candy, etc. But since that first year, I have learned to simplify. Besides the kids don't care whether mom spent 5 hours mixing, baking and building a house - they just want to put candy on it, and then eat the candy! So I have now switched to using those pre-made kits... which rock! For $7 (go Walgreen's), you get a whole house, frosting, candy and everything (even a tray to build it on)! I honestly couldn't buy everything to do one from scratch for that little. And more importantly, it frees up time to focus on the part that my kids like best, the decorating. I hope that when they get older, we can go back to the from scratch process, but for now, we'll keep the tradition of pre-made gingerbread house kits alive!



3 comments:
I am so glad you wrote about this! I love Gingerbread anything. My tree is gingerbread people. I have wanted to do a house, but I didn't know what kind, where to get it, that kind of thing. I saw one at Sam's that looked pretty cool, but I think I should go check out Walgreen's. Thanks Pam!
Holly just gave me your blog address. I feel way out of things - I didn't even know you guys had another cute little baby. I will be sure to watch your blog regularly, so I know a little more of what's going on : )
Is that you, doing a messy craft with your kids? LOL! I picked one up today at Voldemart. I think we're going to do it tomorrow.
Post a Comment